New Managers Institute
Set up your leadership journey for success.
New managers: Equip yourself with management best practices, core competencies, and skills needed to effectively manage up, down, and across the organization. Connect with fellow emerging nonprofit leaders. Gain practical skills.
In total, there will be eight group sessions and one individual coaching session.
What You’ll Experience:
▪ Discovering the Self: Deepen your understanding of your strengths and how to harness them as a manager. Through the self-assessment tool, Everything DiSC®, understand yourself and others better. Your personalized DiSC assessment will provide a wealth of information about your management priorities and preferences. In addition, you’ll learn how to connect better with people whose priorities and preferences differ from yours.
▪ Coaching: In a 1-1 conversation, talk through your work-related challenges with a CRE Coach! Unlock your own wisdom and gain clarity on your situation. Many of our coaches are certified in healing-centered coaching from Blooming Willow Coaching as well as the International Coaching Federation.
▪ Learning in Action: Participants will engage in four large-group sessions with no more than 25 participants, focused on topics from successful transition to being a supervisor and managing workplace relationships, to delegating effectively and leading with authenticity. At the end of each session, participants will detail concrete steps they can integrate and apply their learning.
▪ Peer Support: In small groups, participants will reflect on learnings from Issue Discussions and engage in peer problem-solving and support to accelerate learning and integration into day-to-day work at their organizations.
▪ Networking: Connect with your peers outside of these sessions
This program will help you:
▪ Gain an increased understanding of the role of a manager
▪ Strengthen your knowledge of management-related frameworks and strategies, including:
______▪ How to set goals
______▪ How to delegate
______▪ How to give and receive feedback
______▪ How to manage up
▪ Grapple with different managerial challenges through peer support and feedback
▪ Understand your strengths and how to leverage them to become a more effective manager
▪ Forge connections with fellow emerging leaders across the sector
Who should apply:
▪ High-potential new managers, ideally with less than three years of managerial experience
This program is generously funded by the Department of Youth and Community Development (DYCD) and is offered at no cost to those who are accepted.
Not a DYCD Grantee? The New Managers Institute will be available for all applicants in Spring 2023.
New Managers Institute – Calendar
DYCD Grantees Only
▪ Tuesday, October 25, 2022 at 10am – 2pm ET
▪ Tuesday, November 15, 2022 at 10am – 2pm ET
▪ Tuesday, November 29, 2022 at 10am – 2pm ET
▪ Tuesday, December 13, 2022 at 10am – 2pm ET
▪ Tuesday, January 10, 2023 at 10am – 2pm ET
▪ Tuesday, January 24, 2023 at 10am – 2pm ET
▪ Tuesday, February 7, 2023 at 10am – 2pm ET
▪ Tuesday, February 28, 2023 at 10am – 2pm ET